Early NFL Playoff Predictions
By Ryan Hack
The NFL playoffs are approaching, and many fans are wondering who is making it to the postseason this season. As the season continues, teams will be clinching seeds and be eliminated from playoff contention. As of week fourteen, it is mathematically impossible for the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns, Los Angeles Rams, Chicago Bears, New York Jets, and Jacksonville Jaguars to make the playoffs. Only the Dallas Cowboys have clinched a playoff berth through week thirteen with a 11-1 record, losing week one by a score of 20-19 to the New York Giants. However, they did lose in week fourteen to the New York Giants again, dropping to 11-2.
A survey was conducted to see what students around Glenelg think about who will be making the playoffs in a couple weeks. 61.3% of surveyed students think the Baltimore Ravens will win the AFC North, and the remaining 38.7% think the Pittsburgh Steelers will take the division. The Steelers have a one game lead in the division entering week fifteen. In the AFC East, all the students that were surveyed picked the New England Patriots, who only need one win or tie in the final three games to win the division. The closest race is located in the AFC South where two teams have a 7-6 record through the first thirteen games, while Indianapolis is only one game back. 58.1% picked the Houston Texans to win the division, 38.7% picked the Tennessee Titans, and 3.2% said the Indianapolis Colts. However the best division in terms of record, the AFC West, has three teams with eight wins or more out of twelve. The results showed the Oakland Raiders would win, Kansas City and Denver falling right behind. Entering week fifteen, the Kansas City Chiefs lead the AFC West. The last two seeds in the playoffs come from the two wildcards given to the two teams that have the best records in the AFC. Results show that the Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs would receive a playoff berth, over the Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Tennessee Titans.
In addition to the six teams that make the playoffs in the AFC, six teams reach the postseason in the NFC. Of the thirty-one people surveyed, all of the students says the Seattle Seahawks will win the NFC West. The NFC East will most likely be won by the Dallas Cowboys in week fourteen as they host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday Night Football. 58.1% of students predicted the Detroit Lions to win the NFC North, while the other 41.9% predicted the Minnesota Vikings. Down south, the Atlanta Falcons are looking like the favorites to 77.4%, while the other 22.6% belong to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. While the fight for the NFC South continues, the Seattle Seahawks are pulling ahead of the NFC West. The last two teams that will make the playoffs will take the wildcards, which is a tight race through week 14. Of the thirty-one people surveyed, the top two favorites are the New York Giants and the Washington Redskins, however, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Green Bay Packers, and Minnesota Vikings.
The Wild Card round of the playoffs stars on Saturday, January 7, 2016. We will just have to wait and see.
Comments are closed.